Finance, Community and Policy Committee
Established in May 2012, this committee oversees the council’s finances, monitoring expenditure against budget, and advises council on policy matters. It manages the council’s community support activities, including administering grant schemes and working for town centre regeneration, for example by undertaking the Lansdown Hall and Gallery project and supporting local festivals and other cultural activities. The Committee meets six times a year.
- Management, administration and control of financial affairs (accounts, audit, investments) including risk assessment and insurance, and regular monitoring of expenditure against budget
- Maintenance of Thanet House, Lansdown Hall and any other buildings for which the Council has responsibility
- Advising Council on governance, policy and standing orders
- Health, safety and security of premises, and of staff and other users
- Cultural activities, grants and service level agreements
- Town centre regeneration including festival lights
- Community engagement (other than specifically in relation to Green Spaces)
- Community support, including community grant applications
- Council’s communications strategy and delivery
Members: Cllrs Sage (Chair), Andrews (Deputy Chair), Arundel, Bloxsom, Cranston, Davies, Green, Hale, Marjoram, Poulton.
Green Spaces Committee
The management of more than twenty-five green spaces looked after by the council acquired its own committee in May 2012. Amongst these are play areas, parks, gardens and pocket parks as well as five allotment sites and the historic Old Cemetery and nature reserve at Bisley Road. Other responsibilities of this committee include the council’s burial service and the provision of floral displays in the town centre. The Committee meets six times a year.
- Implementation of Green Spaces strategy
- Management and maintenance of cemeteries (including the Council’s burial service), outdoor recreation areas, gardens, verges, footpaths, churchyards, street furniture and other green spaces under the control of the Council
- Management and maintenance of play equipment
- Health, safety and security of staff and members of the public in relation to green spaces owned or managed by the Council
- Provision of floral displays in town centre
- Provision of play equipment, recreation facilities and new street furniture
- Engagement with Allotments Associations and supervision of agreements between Associations and the Council
- Community engagement in relation to Green Spaces
Members: Cllrs Green (Chair), Lunnon (Deputy Chair), Dechan, Marjoram, Naumann, Poulton, Price, Sutton.
This is our busiest committee, meeting every month. It has the difficult task of responding to the hundreds of consultation documents that the council receives every year. The majority of these relate to planning applications for which the council can only comment upon. Final decisions usually lie with Stroud District Council.
- To comment on planning applications as Statutory Consultee
- To comment on licensing applications
- To comment on Highway schemes
- To comment on such other consultations from national, county or district authorities as are likely to impact on the town and environment
- To manage the Walking and Transport budget
- To manage the Shared Spaces budget
The Consultations Committee may also engage in pre-application consultations. Stroud Town Council has adopted the Stroud District Pre-Application Community Involvement Protocol. Applicants may find the following examples of good practice helpful. To arrange a pre-application consultation please contact the Assistant Clerk.
Members: Cllrs Arundel (Chair), Hale (Deputy Chair), Campbell, Davies, Lunnon, Poulton, Sage, Schoemaker, Sutton, Townley.
Members: Cllrs Cranston, Green, Schoemaker.
Members: Cllrs Andrews, Marjoram, Price.
The minutes of each committee meeting are reviewed and accepted at meetings of full Council which are held eight times a year. Notices of meetings are posted in our office window, on parish notice boards and on our website here.
Members of the public are welcome to attend any committee meeting and at full meetings of the Council there is an opportunity for questions to be asked.
Working Groups can include members of the local community and are set up by and report to full council meetings.
Cllrs Andrews, Davies, Lunnon, Marjoram.
Lansdown Hall & Gallery:
Cllrs Bloxsom, Campbell, Schoemaker.
Cllrs Arundel, Bloxsom, Campbell, Dechan, Hale, Lunnon, Schoemaker.
Cllrs Andrews, Davies, Hale, Sage, Schoemaker.
Trinity Pocket Park:
Representatives on Outside Bodies
Canals Consultative Group:
Hospital League of Friends:
Cllrs Andrews, Davies, Lunnon, Sutton.
Stroud District Youth Forum:
Stroud in Bloom:
Cllrs Green, Price, Sutton.
Children, play, young people and families:
Crime, anti-social behaviour:
Cllrs Lunnon, Naumann.
Cllrs Campbell, Green, Naumann, Schoemaker.
Festivals and Culture:
Cllrs Campbell, Davies, Hale.
Cllrs Campbell, Hale.
Town shops and other businesses:
Cllrs Cranston, Hale.